(England; c. 450-1056AD)
Angles, Saxons, and Jutes; modern identity of England comes from belief of these descendants.
A) Adventus Saxonum- Arrival of the Saxons
B) The “Heptarchy” (8 kingdoms) and The Bretwaldas
- Kent, Mercia, and Northumbria
- Had a period there where king had authority over England
- Buttt for the most part….fighting.
C) Offa = badass.
Cerdic begets Cynegils who begets like 6 other children but the 5th in line is all “Fsck you, I should be king!” /monarchy
D) Capitals and Wics
- Kings live in cities, a capital.
- Have them Bishops under control, ya’ll.
- WICS: Trading Emporia. Good trading posts, international.
-Didn’t have bishop, not steady urban population.
E) 597AD, Gregory I’s mission to cure the heathens. Anglos need to be converted to Christianity!
- Sends monk Augustine to convert. (Rome)
- Talks to King of Kent to establish church.
-Kent converts, orders people to convert to his church.
- ???? PROFIT!
-Gregory I: “Congrats! You’re bishop of the English church now!”
-Augustine: “What the hell do I do now?”
- !! Bishop of England answers to bishop of Rome!
-POPE! (The origin of idea)
F) Ireland: Converted under St. Patrick.
- Fawk the Pope, what is that noise.
- Interest in converting.